Thursday, July 23, 2009

Southern road signs... nuff said

On our way back to NC from the great state of TX, I saw some road signs that I must say never in a million years thought I would!!! First time ever seeing a conjunction on a road sign. The first one I thought was a little odd said, "we'll bill you" on it. (Toll bridge.) The next one was a road construction one saying "Let 'em work, let 'em live". It made sense but again... what's up with the bad grammar on street signs! So I'm laughing pretty hard at this point because we are as you know "in the south" now. And it was very apparent.

So getting into NC just down the road from where we live, we pass a road construction sign. I thought my eyes deceived me. I could have sworn the "s" was missing from the word "construction". Could it be? A spelling error? I inquired about it with Edwin. He denied it very strongly. "I pass that sign everyday! Why would they put up a misspelled sign!" Here comes Edwin eating his words. We passed it a second time... Sure enough! No "s"! I thought maybe they just didn't have room for it, but in the opposite direction, same sign spelled correctly. So the mystery of the missing "s" will probably forever continue. And of course we had to get a picture! To top it off you can see the sign must have been hit, because no, the camera wasn't turned when we took it. The south has never ending laughs for all!



1 comment:

Jonathan said...

Wait until you see the tank crossing signs. I know of at least one in Virginia.